Monday, May 09, 2005

They're not fit to lick your boots

Sarcasm over the internet is the new sarcasm. Its really easy to detect sarcasm in person. Generally, most people put on a tone while being sarcastic. So if someone does not notice sarcasm, they are open for more mockery. (or, if they are truly clueless, blatant sarcasm to the point of the ridiculous. Once my cousin walked in to my aunt painting the wall blue

"Are you painting the wall blue?" She asked

"Nope, pink."

"Really?")

However, internet sarcasm is far more subtle. The only possible way to detect sarcasm online is to divine from the conversation at hand, and the person speaking, as to whether they are sarcastic. I wonder if one day it will become incredibly easy to detect sarcasm (without some kind of "sarcastic type font" or something) online,a and those will get just as mocked as in real life. If that is the case, I must endevour to not be one of those foolish mortals who is mocked.

1 Comments:

At 5:37 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

If I think someone hasn't noticed my sarcasm online I just add "sarcasm in neon" in brackets afterwards, to make the feel stupid :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home