Monday, October 12, 2009

paintballing

I went paintballing on saturday, which was not only great fun, but revealed to me quite how physically pathetic I truly am. A few hours of running around shooting people (well, mostly getting shot, but meh), and I'm basically a cripple. The bruises coating my skin don't help of course....

I do like a bit of paintballing, although the experience is always marred by certain things. Lack of visibility is frustrating, especially when the goggles get so misted that you are almost firing blind (although my favourite moment did come when I managed to shoot an enemy despite him being only a blurred outline). The other is the blatant cheating that tends to go on, with people not noticing or ignoring shots and keeping on fighting. This is sad, and can take away from the experience. More than one person indicated that after getting killed they took the other person with them, which is rather missing the point, I feel....

The physicality of it is a lot of fun though, and it certainly gets the adrenaline pumping. Laser quest should, in theory, be better, as it is harder to cheat, and the weapons are more accurate, and there are no issues with visibility. Sadly, due to constraints on the technology, the games are inevitably indoors, and usually with infinite respawning, making war like tactics unlikely, so games dissolve into a kind of rambling FPS experience, where running around, having brief encounters with the enemies, then running again, seems to be the norm. I do enjoy both, and part of me wonders if it would be possible to take the best of both and combine them together somehow...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home