Wednesday, February 15, 2006

pointless campaign

Amnesty have sent me a bunch of leaflets to hand out, about conflict diamonds- diamonds sold to fund war, mostly in Africa. Now, while this is something we should of course be concerned about, I am the chair of a student group. Students are not traditionally known to have a large portion of money, so to be fully honest I doubt we have much weight over the diamond industry.... I'm sure they'll be very upset that I won't be getting that 1 crt diamond, but I think they'll live. Oh well, some mixed signals at the campaign office perhaps.

Not that our society is of the highest of priorities in their minds, I suspect. Our 5 or so members are doubtlessly contributing a lot to saving a world, but a little less than Bristol university's 40 or so. Stupid Bristol university.

4 Comments:

At 7:45 pm, Blogger Full Metal Attorney said...

Yes, I don't suppose that 1/3 carat diamond I got for my wife (back when she was just my girlfriend) doesn't really make much of a difference to them. But then, I think most diamonds here come from Brazil.

 
At 4:31 pm, Blogger The Venomous Bee said...

There are Canadian Polar Diamonds -- They're not part of the De Beers monopoly, and no one gets hurt. And there's a tiny polar bear on each one as an ID.

It's funny, though, how many people are totally unaware about diamonds. Or anything else, for that matter. And how many people are in denial on top of that.

 
At 11:19 pm, Blogger Ben said...

I only buy diamonds from Sierra Leone

 
At 6:11 am, Blogger cait said...

Diamonds are the biggest bloody rip-off in the world--they're incredibly common in nature. And they're colourless, anyway.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home