Monday, February 13, 2006

On vasectomies

It's not that difficult, one would have thought. On each train, there is a coach which is called the "quiet zone", for passengers who want some peace during their journey. If you want to sit there, then you need to not converse, and to only text if you use your mobile phones at all. If you feel this atmosphere is a little restrictive, you are welcome to go to the rest of the train.

So, why, oh why, did two women choose to sit their children in front and behind me today? Listen, mothers around the world- I understand your lot is hard, that your children can tire you out, and you cannot always keep control of them. That's fine, they are of an age where it is sometimes difficult to keep them still all the time. But surely you are also aware of this? Seriously. I do not understand why she decided to sit here- the train was decidedly empty when I got on, and yet she had chosen to ruin my peace and quiet as I left York. Of course, she was not the only trangressor. People talking, people coughing, people listening to music... it's enough to make one cry. Added to this that during a bus journey up to campus for the lecture I had come back for I had to deal with more children, the vasectomy plan sounds very tempting right now....

4 Comments:

At 11:24 pm, Blogger Ben said...

Why didn't you just flip out like a ninja?

 
At 12:01 am, Blogger Kebwa said...

On the train back from YORK?? How's York? I miss York...
And ya know, there are often FAMILY FRIENDLY sections on trains. Made the mistake of sitting in one once, consequently on the way back from Bath (straaange). I understand if the train was packed with people (maaaybe, but even then, there are rules to be observed!) but if it was empty, there's simply no excuse.

 
At 1:26 am, Blogger Ben said...

To be honest if I was on a train that was packed and the only seats that were left were in the quiet coach then I would sit there and talk quietly, but i'm a rebel like that.
There's no excuse for music being turned up ridiculously high so everyone can hear and you can damage your ear drums even outside the quiet coach. The worst has to be gameboys or mobile phone games where the fucking morons feel the need to subject you to some horrendous bleeping noises. They're generally old enough to know better too.
Still if everyone around me became that annoying i'd just whack the laptop onto full blast and play the "your mother" soundtrack or possibly the crazy frog rave which sits quietly in a hidden corner ready to strike.

 
At 4:20 pm, Blogger The Venomous Bee said...

Personally, I think that some mothers are belligerent about it. And it's the belligerent mothers that raise the belligerently noisy children. We've probably all been on a bus/train/plane with well-behaved children, but we just don't notice them.

I was on a bus between Salisbury and ... Well I can't recall where I was going, but I know Salisbury was involved, and a mother actually CHANGED her two-year-old's diaper on the bus. It made me feel so unclean and reluctant to touch anything on buses after that.

However, I do find that the worst culprits for offensive noise, at least in Saskatoon, are the high-school students. I HATE taking the 6a at about 4:00 because it stops at THREE high schools, and the bus loads up with skinny belligerent kids with too much makeup on who feel that they can talk loudly about who they think is a slag at their school.

This has become a very long response. Perhaps I have some heretofore unknown rage about this. Thank-you for allowing me the space to discover this.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home