Wednesday, November 25, 2009

The Birds

Film critics love Alfred Hitchcock. Which is understandable- the fellow was a master of film after all. Yet this sometimes allows them to ignore its flaws. Every time I head The Birds mentioned in the same level of reverence as Psycho, I sigh. Yes, there is some lovely direction in terms of the camera, but when you have

-a hokey plot
-incredibly dated special effects
-awful acting

what you get is a BAD film, no matter who is behind the camera....

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 2:00 pm, Blogger Axel Fendersson said...

I'm not convinced that 'dated special effects' is an entirely fair criticism. They may be dated now but they weren't at the time.

I haven't actually seen The Birds, so I can't comment on the other issues.

 
At 2:35 pm, Blogger Mr K said...

I think it is- some films, especially horrors, lose their threat due to hokiness. Admittedly this is not the films fault (although it might have been possible to do some scenes in a more timeless way), but as for how the film holds up today, it does matter.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home