Tuesday, August 01, 2006

ramblings

Why do armpits smell so much? No, seriously, this is bothering me. I mean, sure, they're cramped up all day, but so are many other parts of your body, and they manage not to relay the smell all across you. Frankly I think there should be some kind of law. Banning armpits. Or smells. Or both.

It's pretty easy to choose which sense I would lose, of the classic 5 (ignoring the revitionists who talk about more than 5 senses. I like my science greek, which is why I insist on doctors balancing the four humors, believe there are only 4 elements, and am quite happy with the notion of the sun spinning around the earh. I mean, which one's got people on, eh?), which would be smell. Sight is pretty essentialy as senses go, and hearing helps you get along. Touch is a weird one to lose anyway, and I expect if you lose that you're in deep trouble anyway, which leaves us with taste and smell. While I can, of course, appreciate good smells, I suspect that I have been confronted with more bad smells in my life than good ones, so am happy to leave the bad behind, while missing out on some goodness. I'm not sure in what situation exactly this decision would become important, other than a very insane supervillain, none of whom I have yet to encounter, but I imagine the day is approaching soon.

Comics always seem to have a balance between good and bad superheroes, to the point of stupidity, in that superheroes rarely meet supervillians who are outside their range- spiderman does not have to deal with the problems superman has to face, because he would probably fail, his skillset being rather limited. I have to say that having superman in any superhero universe (for the uninitiated, bizzarely all DC comic heroes exist on the same planet, as do the Marvel heroes, which leads the discrimination against X-men looking bizzare, when spiderman gets cheered on by practically everyone apart from the.... whatever the newspaper is called) makes the others a little pointless, especially when many of them have some of the same powers as superman- just less. Take the flash for example, who can run really fast, which is cool, but so can superman... AND he can fly!

I also rather think that most people given super powers would tend to abuse them a teeny little bit. This theme appears to be taken up in my super ex-girlfriend, which by all accounts is rather rubbish, which is a shame because I think it's a great concept, and apparently has been ruined by a rubbish script. Another concept gone forever. Or for a few years before they decide to do a remake anyway....

1 Comments:

At 11:16 pm, Blogger Ben said...

The smell emanating from armpits is the smell of the fecal matter excreted by the bacteria that feed on your sweat. That's a nice thought to go along with the smell.
Armpits have more sweat glands than other areas of the body, as do the feet - this is why they smell the most. I wonder why feet and armpits have more sweat glands than other places. Maybe the sweat helps to keep your armpits nicely lubricated and the salt in it thaws ice in winter under your feet!
Though I guess you won't sweat that much when it's icy.

As far as senses to lose go, mine would have to be taste. Most of your sense of taste comes from smell anyway - so if you had no sense of smell you would lose your sense of taste as well. Losing your taste buds would just mean it would be harder to distinguish whether a food was seet, bitter, salty or sour. I guess if you really liked fizzy cola bottles it would be an issue.

If I were an evil super villain facing someone with no sense of smell I would probably be gas man or some hilarious name similar to this. I'd fill areas with gas and then set them on fire as the hero came by.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home