Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Jehovahs witnesses

I think they get a harsh rap. Now, you may have gathered from my many postings that I am indeed an atheist. I have no real time for religon, but have many friends who are christians, and a few buddhists too.

As I may have mentioned before,I am happy to respect other peoples beliefs, as long as they respect mine. I suppose some would claim that Jehovah's witnesses don't really do that.

So what exactly DO they do?

They wonder round, knocking on doors, giving leaflets and asking you whether you've though about God. For this, they get shouted at, sometimes even physically attacked. They are the brunt of endless jokes, and are considered a bane of modern existence. But all they do is try and save you. Not in a harsh, vigorous way, that many fundamentalists adopt, but in a simple manner, attempting to explain the light of god they see.

I must admit I don't know much of what Jehovahs witnesses believe, mainly because I do not read the literature they give me, but I see no harm in taking it. Of all the many perils facing our world, witnesses are hardly the worst. I would rate trick or treaters far higher than them in the annoyance scale, and you confront both with about the same frequency.

3 Comments:

At 11:46 pm, Blogger Ben said...

Yay, I got none of both!
Not since that one time at least, they don't come back anymore.

 
At 4:35 pm, Blogger Full Metal Attorney said...

They mostly just bother me because they call themselves Christians (or at least try to pass themselves off as such) and yet they don't believe in Christ. They are offended by the Christian idea of a "disgusting three-headed god."

 
At 8:07 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

They would rather a child die than have a life-saving blood transfusion. That is what is wrong.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home