Friday, January 30, 2009

Sports rec challenge

I have recently acquired myself a sports rec membership. Coming in at a hefy 97 pounds, it gives me free entry to the southampton sports facilities, and thus inspires me to use them and actually make it worth the money. To do so I will need to go swimming 36 times. I have swum three times so far, and intend to keep up a similar pace for the rest of the year, thus making the membership 4 times over. In theory, this should make me a trimmer, and more importantly, fitter Kieran.

The main issue with swimming, which is a sport I am reasonably adept at, is that you're often not allowed to choose your own pace. The southampton pool is not huge (I was spoilt somewhat by the olympic swimming pool in Bath. Which I might add was free to all students... admittedly they got a lot of money out of olympic atheletes training in their facilities, so that probably explains things. This is a long bracket), and most swimming is in lanes. I have the problem that I swim slightly too slow for medium, but too fast for slow. This means I'm either the jerk overtaking in slow, or the jerk going too slow in medium. While I can go slower in slow, that is boring, and would not really give me much of a work out, while going faster in medium, at this stage in my laziness, would tire me out too quickly. I could switch to a faster stroke, but I am miserable at doing front crawl, as I time my breathing wrong, and doing back stroke I tend to crash into people. So I am stuck with a dilemma. It's not the end of the world, but it mostly makes me hope that I can find some time when the lanes aren't full of people...

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 11:52 pm, Blogger Ben said...

I'm a rubbish swimmer and often end up partially drowning at which point I decide to get out. Fortunately my gym is usually empty and I have the pool, steam room, sauna and jaccuzzi to myself, so the water is generally nice and flat which makes drowning less likely.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home