Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Repaying the money...

The financial scandal at the moment is enough to make anyone angry. It seems like every politician could barely resist taking advantage of the rules, and worse, that none of them seem to think they've done anything wrong! Yes many of them may not have broken the rules, but if ANY politician gets to the point where they have to repay 13,000 pounds, they shouldn't be bloody politicians anymore. As many people have pointed out, benefit fraudsters steal peanuts compared to this, and may well use loopholes to get out of it. They'll lie, say they forgot... and end up in prison. These MPs should count themselves lucky we do not luck all the bastards up. I know this rhetoric is all a bit tabloidish, but I really think politicians have been living in a bubble where they think things that clearly are not acceptable are fine, and they need to be shook up. Getting rid of Michael Martin is fine, but it's pretty clear that he's nothing but a scapegoat. I want to see politicians start going, including Hazel Blears.

On another note, I will say that I really don't see that much wrong with J Prescott asking for a new toilet seat- it was part of a plumbing bill, and one would assume that toilet seats are in fact fairly essential if one wishes to use a toilet....

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 3:23 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some fair points, but I direct you to this, http://darksidechaplaincy.blogspot.com/ as there some good points there too.

I think at times the facts have been lost amongst the scandal. Claiming expenses isnt wrong, its a benefit of being the mp. Defrauding the public by claiming for second homes etc is. I feel sorry for Martin, as I think there are many other people who should be handing in their resignation ahead of him.

 
At 10:49 am, Blogger Mr K said...

No, it's true, claiming expenses is not wrong, and many of the examples in the press are a bit silly and trivial. I suspect most of us might end up being guilty of some minor infringement under that system, but those who "forget" that they're getting 10,000 or so pounds I have little sympathy for.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home